During one of my recent zoom talks, I was asked for info about mail order suppliers for hydrangeas. After having answered the question, it occurred to me that you might be interested in the same info. It seems timely.
I believe it’s important to have info about mail order suppliers as local garden centers can’t always satisfy gardeners’ needs. It was just that idea that caused me to include a list of several sources in my book Success With Hydrangeas.
What Garden Gear Can You Order On Line
Even before Covid and lockdown, I was ordering many garden items from online vendors. Tools, amendments, books, wheelbarrows, seeds – you name it. And of course, plants: annuals, perennials, shrubs, vines, etc. It has only gotten better. But among all those orders, the ones about which I was most selective were the hydrangea sellers.
Today’s Mail Order Suppliers of Hydrangeas
Like most things, the landscape of mail order hydrangea suppliers has changed a bit since my publication date of late 2017. Today, I would include the below sources based on personal experience. My criteria are reasonable price, reasonable shipping charges, decent size, and high plant quality. In addition, it’s important that the vendors have a sensible return policy. They are listed in alphabetical order.
- Great Garden Plants (GreatGardenPlants.com) “…We’ve been around since 2008…Our team is more committed than ever to providing you beautiful, vigorous plants at a great price, as well as the inspiration and information to keep you planting. Our greenhouses are located in beautiful west Michigan…”
- Hydrangeas Plus (HydrangeasPlus.com) “…We own and operate a container nursery in the beautiful area of Aurora, OR and have been in business over 30 years. We found our “niche” growing and propagating hydrangeas, and to our knowledge we have one of the most extensive (if not the largest) selection of hydrangea varieties available for purchase in North America. We pride ourselves in providing our customers healthy and vibrant plants…”
- Plant Addicts (PlantAddicts.com) “…Plant Addicts Inc. was founded in 2017 by Richard and Chris in Omaha, Nebraska…We provide high quality plants direct to customer’s homes. Especially plants you cannot find locally…Our family owned business aims to provide great value and service to our customers, and promoting a fair and mutual relationship that has customers coming back for years…”
- Southern Living Plants (SouthernLivingPlants.com) “…The Southern Living® Plant Collection, first introduced in Spring 2008, provides gardeners with innovative new plants designed to solve specific landscape challenges and to excel in Southern gardens…” I would highly recommend this site for warm climate gardeners as they specialize in plants that stand up to warmer conditions.
- White Flower Farm (WhiteFlowerFarm.com) “…White Flower Farm is a family-owned nursery based in Northwest Connecticut. Since 1950, we’ve been growing a wide range of ornamental plant varieties, and delivering them to gardeners all over the country. Our mission is to help gardeners succeed by supplying top quality plant material, comprehensive cultural information, and superior customer service…”
- Wilkerson Mill Gardens: owners recently retired and sold their business to Great Garden Plants (see Great Garden Plants above).
So if you are looking for a particular hydrangea and your local independent garden center can’t get it for you, I would encourage you to work with one of the above mail order suppliers.
Current Supplies Are Low
A bit of patience might be needed as many suppliers are sold out right now. It seems Covid and our new stay-at-home lifestyle has generated enormous unanticipated demand. The suppliers are running as fast and hard as they can, but plants do take some time to develop and grow. I would get my order in as soon as possible as it appears the demand will not let up.
Father’s Day Gardening Book Giveaway
The link to the contest is: https://gleam.io/NFRiN/
Good luck in the giveaway and happy hydrangea hunting!
6 Secrets for Stunning Hydrangea Flowers
Get my FREE mini-guide with 6 fool-proof tips showing how to grow hydrangeas that produce the most amazing flowers.